1. First of all the obvious one of making regular appointments for cleaning your teeth is first on the list. Many people let this slide but it’s important to not only get on a regular schedule with the dentist’s office setting up future appointments but also having them call and remind you to come in. Once you get on a schedule of once or twice a year then you will find you don’t need to worry about whiter teeth as often, except if you smoke.
2. Make sure to brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day. Make sure to floss at bedtime and use a cheap gum massager to get under the gum flap. You want to prevent the buildup of plaque, which can discolor your teeth. Focusing on your teeth will help you prevent some staining of your teeth.
3. Avoid drinking water with any added fluoride or using toothpaste with fluoride as it’s been reported that it can discolor or stain your teeth. Also many other countries have banned fluoride in their drinking water due to diseases and symptoms that have been connected with it.
4. If you smoke try to cut down as much as possible and of course it s better for your health to quit smoking altogether as you no doubt know. Smokers have a more difficult time keeping their teeth white than non-smokers so you may have to work harder at it.
5. Coffee and tea are notorious for causing teeth staining. Make sure to sip or rinse your mouth with water while you’re drinking coffee or tea and after you’re done. Colas and wine can also cause stains on the teeth.
6. Some fruits such as strawberries are excellent tooth whiteners. Strawberries can be rubbed on the teeth or mashed up in a paste and brushed on. Leave on the teeth for five minutes. Rinse well.
7. Baking soda has long been used for dental whitening. Many types of toothpaste have baking soda in their ingredients because of its effectiveness. You can make your own baking soda whitener though. Just mix baking soda with a little salt – a good cheap teeth whitening home remedy.
8. Avoid using mouthwashes. Besides alcohol they contain other chemicals that can stain or discolor teeth. They can easily absorb through the delicate tissues under your tongue and be absorbed into your system. One well-known mouthwash was reported recently to actually discolor the teeth with brown stains.
9. Drinks lots of water. Rinse your mouth thoroughly after every meal or snack to make sure no food residue is sticking to your teeth.
10. Try to eat a better diet with lots of raw foods – fruits and veggies. Make huge salads. Avoid fast food and processed food as much as possible. Avoid constant snacking. All of this will help give you brighter, whiter teeth with fewer cavities.